Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Classifying you and I

You heard the saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover." But do we actually follow the saying?

It's easy to judge a single person based on the way the bring themselves in public eyes. If they wear dirty cloths to school or have unmanageable hair, the word "gross" seems to come into mind. It's pretty much human nature to judge a person by appearance. We seem classify a person like this as nasty, weird, strange, intolerable...you get my point.

I have been guilty of doing such things.

There was a girl, she rode my bus and I usually spotted her around the school grounds. Her hair was greased up, down, and matted. Clothing was somewhat out of date with fashion now a days and her features were not exactly appealing. My first impression, I'm embarrassed to say, wasn't exactly nice. I found myself disgusted that someone would show up in a public place in that manner.

My opinion on others, I'll admit, were not exactly the most accurate or nicest. How did I know she wasn't the coolest person in the world? Since I had that disgusting opinion on her I wouldn't even be able to find out if she was or not. People in general judge the cover of a book too frequently. I suppose that we all need to wake up and realize that life isn't about the cover but the text in between. I've just started to work on reading the book rather then setting it down just because of it's rugged looks.

Even though it takes a longer time to read then to look, trust me, the reward and the unexpected pleasure you receive after could make a difference in your life.

1 comment:

  1. Your writing has really matured, Persephone. Nice flow of ideas.

    ReplyDelete